Manhunt after Shoreham woman stabbed several times
A man is being sought by police after a woman was stabbed several times. Police were called to Sussex Wharf in Shoreham, West Sussex, at about 20:15 BST on Tuesday, where they found the woman with multiple knife wounds. The 36-year-old was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton in a serious but not life-threatening condition. Police want to question Liam Hanley, 32, on suspicion of attempted murder. Det Insp Alan Pack said: "We are asking anyone who has seen Liam to get in touch immediately on 999. "I would like to thank local residents in Shoreham for the help and patience with our investigation which included the use of the police helicopter. "We currently have a team of officers working on the investigation and out in Shoreham making enquiries and we urge anyone who has information to speak to them or get in touch with us." Police said the suspect was last seen wearing a grey tracksuit with tiger print on the legs, and blue and black trainers. It is believed he may still be in the Sussex area as he does not have access to a car.
Burglars abandon Rawtenstall bank tunnel raid
Burglars tried to tunnel their way with chisels into a bank to steal from two cash machines, but left empty handed. They broke into an insurance broker in Rawtenstall with the aim of tunnelling into a neighbouring branch of Santander, police believe. They apparently abandoned the robbery attempt, instead making off with £20 in petty cash from Tricketts Insurance. Tricketts director, Janine Packman, said it was thought chisels were used to dig the tunnel. "Nobody knows why they didn't steal from the ATMs," Ms Packman said. "It could be they couldn't open the cash machines or they were waiting to come back." Lancashire Police are investigating the aborted raid, which happened on 26 August. Ms Packman said: "Police have told me there is no sign that they used power tools and think they must have used chisels." She discovered the break-in by chance when she called into the office on Sunday 26 August . Ms Packman said she found a ransacked premises and debris from the hole in the wall caused by the burglars. "I was totally shocked when I arrived, I couldn't believe it," she added. A Lancashire Police spokeswoman said the force received a call about a suspected burglary at a commercial premises on Bank Street, Rawtenstall around 14:00 BST on Sunday 26 August.
Merseyside Police chief defends stop-and-search powers
A drop in the use of stop-and-search has fuelled an increase in violent crime, a chief constable said. Speaking to The Times, Andy Cooke said his Merseyside force had increased the tactic in response to a rise in gun and knife attacks in the region. The use of stop-and-search has almost halved to 304,000 a year since 2015, but Merseyside has bucked the national trend. "It is about disruption and putting the fear back on criminals," said Mr Cooke. Nationally young black men are about four times more likely to be stopped than their white counterparts. But Mr Cooke said stop-and-search was "about criminality not race".
Heroin addicts to get drug use clinic in Middlesbrough
Heroin users in Middlesbrough will be allowed to self-administer drugs at a new clinic. Cleveland Police said the scheme targets the most prolific offenders to break the cycle of drug use, crime and prison. It will cost £12,000 per addict and also see them helped in other ways. The force estimates a core of 20 drug-dependent offenders in the city have cost the public £784,000 over the last two years on detected crimes. Similar trials in London and Darlington previously suggested such schemes reduce crime and drug use but they were criticised by campaigners Europe Against Drugs who said it "perpetuates addicts' maintenance on the drug when the goal should always be abstinence". The Middlesbrough plan will also see various agencies focusing on the most prolific offenders to provide medical, housing and other assistance to "finally get users off drugs, off the streets and back into society".
Man stole mother-in-law's corpse from funeral parlour
A man broke into a funeral parlour to take his mother-in-law's corpse as he feared he would not get it back in time for the service, it has emerged. The man raided Rochester's Butterfly Funeral Services having heard it was going bust, Kent Messenger reported. He then took the body to Medway Funeral Directors in Strood which has confirmed it dealt with the service instead. Manager Robert Lawrence told BBC Radio Kent: "It did happen... It was a very difficult situation to deal with." Mr Lawrence said his office tried to contact Butterfly Funeral Services without success after "the client came to us for advice" about a year ago. He added: "He told us he had been to police and said he was going to break-in and take his mother-in-law's body away and bring her to us. "We checked with the police and they confirmed everything. Then he told us the morning he was going to do it and arrived at our office with her. "It was difficult to watch him go off and do it alone, but unfortunately our hands were tied."